Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sibling love

Trying on shoes just like Amanda's!
Kevin idolizes his older sister Amanda.  It drives Mike crazy because Amanda is very girly -- into wearing dresses every day and pink princesses...and pretty shoes.  We went shopping for Amanda over the weekend to get some shiny black "dress up" shoes to go with her Minnie Mouse costume for Halloween, and another pair of tennis shoes for soccer.  When we were at the shoe store, Kevin insisted on trying on the same exact black shiny girly shoes in his size.  At first I resisted, trying to distract him with various tennis shoes with "boy" characters on them.  After about 2 minutes of him screaming at the top of his lungs (in the middle of the store) though, I gave in and let him try some girlie shoes on (see picture to left).  He immediately went to show Amanda and then just stood there staring at them. 

I continued with trying on various shoes with Amanda, and after about 15 minutes, I attempted to take the girlie shoes off of Kevin.  Seriously.  It was as if I was trying to remove his whole foot!  He refused to take them off!  I finally had to show him Amanda was taking hers off and putting her old shoes back on, and he eventually complied, but not without keeping a death grip on the shoes themselves.  Then we took the shoes to the counter (grasped tightly in his hands) where I showed him that the nice lady had to ring them up (telling her slyly on the side that I wasn't really buying them, thankyouverymuch).  He finally let go and ran off to play with something else that was probably breakable on display and I was able to have the sales girl ring up an actual 'boy' set of shoes with cars on them.

And guess what happened when we got home?  Amanda put on her princess tennis shoes to show Daddy and Kevin put on Amanda's 'dress up' shoes too.  I shoulda taken a picture of Mike's face.

No comments: